Junior defence minister Jack de Vries said on Wednesday the caretaker government will not make the decision on whether or not to buy a second Joint Strike Fighter aircraft.
It will be up to the new government to decide after the general election on June 9.
De Vries was reacting to a statement by US Defence Minister Robert Gates on Tuesday that the JSF faces a probable rise in cost and a delay until 2015. Gates also said he is decreasing his department's contribution to the aircraft by EUR 441m.
The Netherlands ordered one test aircraft in 2009. The decision on ordering a second was due to be taken in March 2010.
The previous government coalition wanted the JSF to replace the aging F-16 planes and set aside EUR 16 billion to buy and maintain them. So far some EUR 800 million has been invested.