Statement from Minister Champagne on Suspension of Export Permits to Turkey
(Source: Global Affairs Canada; issued October 05, 2020)
OTTAWA --- The Hon. François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Foreign Affairs, today issued the following statement:

“Over the last several days, certain allegations have been made regarding Canadian technology being used in the military conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh.

“Upon learning of these allegations, I immediately directed Global Affairs Canada to investigate these claims.

“In line with Canada’s robust export control regime and due to the ongoing hostilities, I have suspended the relevant export permits to Turkey, so as to allow time to further assess the situation.

“Canada continues to be concerned by the ongoing conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh resulting in shelling of communities and civilian casualties.

“We call for measures to be taken immediately to stabilize the situation on the ground and reiterate that there is no alternative to a peaceful, negotiated solution to this conflict.”


((EDITOR’S NOTE: “Project Ploughshares, a Canadian arms control group, says video of air strikes released by Baku indicates the drones had been equipped with imaging and targeting systems made by L3Harris Wescam, the Canada-based unit of L3Harris Technologies Inc.,” Reuters reported Oct. 5.
The Globe and Mail said L3Harris Wescam had received permission this year to ship seven systems to Turkish drone maker Baykar.)


-ends-








prev next

Breaking News from AFP See all

Official reports See all