Defence Secretary Confirms Summer Start for Type 26 Frigates
(Source: UK Ministry of Defence; issued Nov 04, 2016)
Announcing that first metal will be cut on the Type 26 frigate in the summer of 2017 may seem premature, but it is crucial for BAE Systems to demonstrate that the program is on a firm part to qualify for tenders in Canada and elsewhere. (BAE image)
The Defence Secretary has announced the steel cut for new Type 26 frigates will be in summer 2017, subject to final contract negotiations.

Michael Fallon made the announcement about the Royal Navy’s next generation Type 26 Global Combat Ship during a visit to Govan in Scotland today.

The 2015 Strategic Defence and Security Review (SDSR15) set out the UK Government’s commitment to build eight Anti-Submarine Type 26 Global Combat Ships. Today’s announcement of a date for cutting-steel on the Type 26 is an important step towards securing billions of pounds’ worth of investment in British shipbuilding on the Clyde and securing hundreds of skilled jobs through until 2035.

During his visit to Govan, Defence Secretary Michael Fallon said:

“Backed by Britain’s rising Defence budget, the Type 26 Programme will deliver a new generation of cutting-edge warships for our Royal Navy at best value for taxpayers.

“The UK government’s commitment today will secure hundreds of high-skilled shipbuilding jobs on the Clyde for at least two decades and hundreds more in the supply chain across Britain.”

Showing further commitment to the Type 26 programme, the Defence Secretary also announced a £100 million contract with MBDA to deliver the Sea Ceptor self-defence missile system for the ship.

The contract will support design work, allow equipment to be manufactured to equip the entire Type 26 fleet, and install the system on the first three ships. This follows a £183 million investment in the Maritime Indirect Fire System, the Type 26’s 5-inch calibre gun earlier in the summer, bringing our total investment in the programme to £1.9 billion.

Secretary of State for Scotland, David Mundell, said:

“This is a momentous commitment for Scotland that will strengthen and secure our shipbuilding industry on the Clyde for the future.

“The UK government is backing jobs on the Clyde and in its shipyards – and this investment is only possible because of the broad shoulders of our strong UK defence budget.”

The Defence Secretary also announced that the MOD plans to sign a contract shortly to start building of the two additional Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs) pledged to in the SDSR, both of which will be delivered in 2019, protecting jobs on the Clyde before the start of the Type 26 programme gets fully under way.

The MOD has been working with industry to ensure that they are able to deliver to time, cost and performance and secure the skills necessary to meet the challenge of delivering a world class anti-submarine warfare capability for the Royal Navy at value for money for the taxpayer. Detailed negotiations will now begin to finalise the contract.

This demonstrates the Government’s continuing commitment to shipbuilding on the Clyde and real progress in delivering the Type 26 programme to meet the modern needs of Britain’s Royal Navy.

(ends)



Manufacturing of the Type 26 Global Combat Ships to Start In Summer 2017
(Source: BAE Systems; issued Nov 04, 2016)
BAE Systems has confirmed that the first steel will be cut on the Royal Navy’s Type 26 Global Combat Ships in Glasgow in summer 2017, subject to final contract negotiations with the UK Ministry of Defence (MOD).

During a visit to BAE Systems’ shipyard in Glasgow Defence Secretary Michael Fallon said: “Backed by Britain’s rising Defence budget, the Type 26 Programme will deliver a new generation of cutting-edge warships for our Royal Navy at best value for taxpayers. The UK government’s commitment today will secure hundreds of high-skilled shipbuilding jobs on the Clyde for at least two decades and hundreds more in the supply chain across Britain.”

Commenting on this important development Ian King, Chief Executive, BAE Systems, said: “Today’s announcement secures a strong foundation for the next two decades of shipbuilding at our facilities in Scotland. It is a vote of confidence in our employees’ capabilities in the design, construction, integration and commissioning of warships.”


BAE Systems has revealed the latest images of the Royal Navy's Type 26 Global Combat Ship, which will replace the Type 23 frigate as the workhorse of the Fleet.


The UK Government committed to eight advanced anti-submarine warfare ships in its 2015 Strategic Defence and Security Review (SDSR) and has to date invested a total of £1.9 billion in the programme. Manufacturing contracts are already in place for the procurement of major equipment for the first three ships, supporting progress to the full manufacturing programme in Glasgow. To date there are 27 companies in the supply chain working with BAE Systems to deliver the Type 26 ships, with manufacturing of the ships’ air weapons handling systems, gas turbines, and electric propulsion motor and drive systems underway across the UK.

BAE Systems is also under contract to manufacture the Maritime Indirect Fire System, including its 5-inch 62 calibre Mk 45 gun, for the first three Type 26 ships and the MOD has announced a contract with MBDA to deliver the Sea Ceptor self-defence missile system for the fleet.

The Type 26 Global Combat Ship will be a world-class anti-submarine warfare ship and will replace the Type 23 frigates. Globally deployable, it will be capable of undertaking a wide range of roles from high intensity warfare to humanitarian assistance, either operating independently or as part of a task group.

Today’s announcement provides BAE Systems and the UK Government with the confidence to continue to progress export campaigns for the Type 26 Global Combat Ship with other navies around the world with similar requirements, including Canada and Australia.

Plans are also on track to finalise a contract to build two further Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs), which the Government committed to in the SDSR, providing continuous warship production in Glasgow through to the Type 26 programme. The first three River Class OPVs are already under construction at BAE Systems’ facilities in Glasgow. Construction of first of class, FORTH, began in October 2014, second of class, MEDWAY, began in June 2015 while TRENT began in October 2015.

The OPV design builds on the Royal Navy's existing River Class ships and variants are already in service in Brazil and Thailand. Engineers at BAE Systems have modified the design to meet the requirements of the Royal Navy in support of UK interests both at home and abroad. The new River Class OPVs will be globally deployable and capable of ocean patrol.

-ends-




prev next

Official reports See all